CSAR is a registered charity, and membership benefits include access to:
- approximately 15 lectures per year
- complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits at those lectures
- 2-3 visits per year to organisations at the cutting edge of applied research (for which there is a supplementary charge of £10 per visit)
To attend a CSAR event you will need to become a member but joining online takes only a couple of minutes, and some of our membership categories do not require an upfront fee.
- Pay-As-You-Go (free to join, and £5 per lecture): this category is aimed at people who would like to try a lecture or two before considering an annual subscription; or who are unable to attend regularly.
For those who expect to attend more often we offer the following annual subsciptions:
- Individual membership (£25 per annum, no additional costs for lectures): access to the above package, with priority booking for those lectures that seem likely to sell out
- Family membership (£35 per annum, no additional costs for lectures): access to the above package, with priority booking, for all immediate family members. Family members aged under 18 must be accompanied by an adult member of the family.
Subscription memberships run for 12 calendar months from the date of joining. The rates for individuals and families have remained the same for the last eight years. Subscribing members have the right to vote at annual general meetings.
A UK higher rate tax payer will find that an individual subscription is more cost-effective than Pay-As-You-Go if he/she plans to attend more than 4 lectures a year. If you are a UK taxpayer who has an individual or family subscription, we would be very grateful if you would complete a Gift Aid form.
We also offer the following concessionary memberships for which there are no upfront fee. These rates are subsidised by donations to CSAR and other activities.:
- Postgraduate student (free to join, and £2 per lecture): For current postgraduate students of any university.
- Undergraduate student (free to join, and £2 per lecture): For current undergraduate students of any university.
- Recent PhD (free to join, and £2 per lecture): This category is for members who have received their PhD in the last three years. If you received your PhD more than three years ago, we ask that you either take out an individual subscription or join as a Pay-As-You-Go member.
You can join CSAR online and it's quicker and less stressful than joining in person on a busy night at the reception desk.
If your membership requires a subscription fee, we accept debit and credit cards and PayPal. These are the easiest payment methods for us to process, and your membership will be effective immediately. You can also arrange to pay by online bank transfer, in which case your membership will be 'payment pending', becoming fully effective once we can check that the transfer has cleared. As a final option we do accept cheques but we would appreciate your only using this method if you can't manage one of the above alternatives. Cheques are slow and labour intensive for us, and are a poor use of our volunteers' time.
For free membership for teachers and school students, please go to Schools.
If you wish to change membership category before it expires - for instance, to switch from Pay-As-You-Go to an individual subscription - please email firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address that we hold for you, and we can arrange for this to happen.